Early American Coin Silver Ewers by Ball, Tompkins & Black and Pair of Gorham Goblets
Pair of Ball, Tompkins & Black coin silver ewers circa 1849. Each baluster form with applied bands of repeat palmettes, C-scroll handles, one engraved: "Presented by the Stockholders of The Bank of Auburn to Cornelius Cuyler, Esquire, their late President, As an expression of their entire confidence in the integrity and ability with which, as an officer of the Institution, he has rendered gratuitous service during a period of more than thirty years, June 11th, 1849"; the other "The Bank of Auburn to Cornelius Cuyler, Esquire, June 11th, 1849". Height is 13 3/4 inches to the top of the handle and 8 3/4'' from handle to spout. Bearing hallmarks as shown.
C. Cuyler was born in Albany in 1783. His ancestors were of the earliest and of the most respectable settlers in the colony , having moved from Leyden, Holland, about the year 1650. They were men of education and of wealth.
Successors to Marquand & Co, Ball, Tompkins & Black retailed silver in New York from the early 19th century onward. While their original store was at Broadway 247, they relocated in the 1860s to be across the street from their rival Tiffany. Tompkins left the company and it continued to operate under the name of Ball & Black.
Sold with pair of coin silver Gorham goblets from the second half of the 19th century in pattern 16 with engraved inscriptions and stylized motifs, measuring 6'' in height by 3'' in diameter. Bearing hallmarks as shown. Total weight is 65.9 ozt.
During the heyday of American silver manufacturing, approximately 1850–1940, Gorham was highly influential. The White House has used Gorham silver services during many administrations. Mary Todd Lincoln purchased an impressive tea and flatware service for use in the White House in 1859. Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant asked Gorham to commemorate the country's one-hundredth anniversary with a spectacular Century Vase that contained over 2,000 oz (57,000 g) of sterling silver, and in 1899, it produced a grand "loving cup" composed of 70,000 dimes was designed for Admiral George Dewey. Colonel Henry Jewett Furber placed the largest single commission Gorham ever received for what became known as the famous Furber service. The opulent 740-piece service represents Victorian era dining at its most elaborate. The monumental silver and parcel-gilt "Neptune" epergne made for Furber as part of this service was displayed at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition in 1876. Gorham artisans also sculpted the famous monument of George Washington in the Capitol's Rotunda and the statue of Theodore Roosevelt in New York.
Please feel free to e-mail us with any questions, and please see our other listings. We hand polish all items before shipping them out, but if there is interest for a professional polishing and/or engraving removal, we can take care of that for an additional charge and with delayed shipping.